Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Toothpaste is one thing…

The only way to sanely survive the extremely daunting cold weather, snow and icy conditions we are facing in Colorado this winter is to just balls out embrace it. A few weeks ago, one of my supa star kickball teammates came across an impromptu game of Broomball while out bar-hopping one evening and was drawn to the gliding, pushing, laughing and shrieking…could it be true, could there be a Broomball league in Boulder? The answer: "Hell Yes"

Needless to say she recruited a few of us from the good old Chotchkie's with Flair kickball team, informed us that along with signing a lengthy release form that we need to gather up some protective padding, helmets and mouth guards. Yes, mouth guards. Those little pieces of $1.99 rubber that manage to protect $6,000 worth of orthodontia.

So, my housemate and I set out to the mammoth sports store to purchase our very own mouth guards—oh the sweet anticipation of then going home, boiling water and molding the crappy piece 'o plastic to our mouths—and then being able to taste or smell nothing but plastic for the next 36 – 48 hours.

Like any 27 year old guy, that is actually 12 inside. He immediately opened his mouth guard in the car and stuffed it into his mouth as we headed over to the grocery store.

Now, while in the grocery store, I was on a mission and have to admit that I really didn’t pay attention to the presence or lack of presence of the mouth guard. As we got back in the car I have to admit that the whereabouts of his mouth guard didn't even remotely cross my mind until my hand landed on something cold, wet, slimy and squishy as I slid into the front seat. "What the f…" "It's just my mouth guard," he says. "Yeah, key word being mouth and now my ass." "Really, it's not a big deal, I mean I use accidentally use your toothbrush all the time." "What the f…" again… "Well they are really similar colors."

Seriously toothpaste can be shared, but toothbrushes?

I am so buying a ridiculously unique toothbrush; I am going to decoupage my name onto the handle of MY toothbrush. MY toothbrush. And all the time?!? Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on, broomball!!! Nothing better than a little rough and tumble on the ice!! (And thank God for those mouthguards!)